Yoga is a Hindu way of life leading to spiritual liberation. It is included among the six orthodox schools of Indian philosophy. As early as the 5th century A.D. Patanjali arranged in an orderly way its basic principles in his ‘Yogasutra’.
According to yoga,spiritual liberation occurs when the soul is freed from the bondage of matter.The yoga process includes eight stages :
The first two are ethical preparations :
1. They are ‘yama’ or abstinence from violence, stealing, falsehood, lust , and greed for riches; and
2. ‘niyama’ or observance of cleanliness,contentment,austerity and study.
The next two stages are physical preparations that include :
3. ‘asanas’, a series of exercises to enable the aspirant to hold one posture for an extended period without physical discomfort;
4. And ‘pranayama’, or breathing exercises to encourage complete respiratory relaxation.
5. The fifth stage, ‘pratyahara’, involves control of the senses.
These first five stages constitute the external aids to yoga. The remaining three stages are internal aids.
6. They are ‘dhaarana’, the ability to hold awareness of one object for a long period of time;
7. ‘Dhyana’ concentrated meditation.
8. And ‘samadhi’ – the final stage, in which the object of meditation and the meditator becomes one.
Abstinence from violence, stealing, falsehood, lust, and greed for riches.
Observance of cleanliness, contentment, austerity, and study.
Series of exercises to enable the aspirant to hold one posture for an extended period without physical discomfort
Breathing exercises to encourage complete respiratory relaxation.
Involves control of the senses.
The ability to hold awareness of one object for a long period of time.
The final stage, in which the object of meditation and the meditator becomes one.
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behavior or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.